Since the horse meat scandal broke in 2013, food authenticity and food adulteration have taken on a new level of importance with consumers and producers.
Eurofins is the world leader in food and feed authenticity testing. We pioneered DNA-based analytical technologies for food testing using innovative protocols to improve the safety and authenticity of our clients' food products. We have patented the SNIF-NMR® technology and related authenticity testing methods.
- fruit juice and derived products: detection of addition of sugar, water, colourings, aromas or other undeclared additives, determination of fruit content; geographical origin check
- wines, ciders: detection of chaptalisation, sugaring, dilution or addition of glycerol, checking the process used in sparkling products, conformity to the isotopic profile; geographical origin check
- spirits, beers: control of the botanical origin of the alcohol, detection of addition of water, sugars or flavours (according to current regulations and/or product specifications);
- honey, maple syrup, agave syrup: detection of addition of sugar or other undeclared additives, mislabeling, geographical origin check
- flavours: checking whether a flavour is natural from X (vanilla, aniseed, bitter almond, cinnamon, linalool, etc.), natural, or synthetic;
- Coffee, tea, Spices and herbal extracts: Differentiation Arabica vs Robusta, Coffee vs chicory, etc.; checking for natural or synthetic sources in tea, coffee or guarana-containing drinks; geographical origin check
- meat products: confirmation of animal species;
- fish: confirmation of species and of origin (wild farmed);
- dairy products: confirmation of the main feed used (grass or maize silage), detection of reconstitution, check flavourings (e.g. fruit, vanilla); geographical origin check
- cereals: confirmation of variety; geographical origin check
- basmati rice: quantification of the amount of basmati present in rice
Our authenticity analyses are "tailor-made" for each product and include basic methods and specific tests, selected to check for likely adulteration practices.
Eurofins' specific expertise is the use of isotopic techniques and in particular the Site Specific Natural Isotope Fractionation Studied by Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (SNIF-NMR®) method of authentication. This is one of the most powerful techniques for detecting the adulteration of natural products. Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry is also used as a complementary technique.
Eurofins also carries out molecular biology techniques and a large number of classic physical, chemical and biological methods: liquid or gas chromatography, spectroscopy (atomic absorption, ultraviolet) and has a very wide range of analytical tools to control product authenticity.
A recent breakthrough was introduced through NMR-profiling, a new holistic approach combining targeted and non-target analyses for a fast & complete authenticity screening of whole matrices.
Fraud is becoming more and more sophisticated and increasingly difficult to detect by basic analyses since it is often designed to get round the tests in use. It is therefore necessary to resort to advanced analytical techniques to detect the non-compliant products. A considerable investment in research and development enables Eurofins to apply the most suitable methods to each specific case when evaluating the authenticity of a product.
Eurofins also offers the possibility of setting up a targeted analytical approach and specific data banks to help protect producers from fraudulent imitations of their products or false declarations of geographic origin, notably in the case of Protected Denomination of Origin (PDO) certification.
Eurofins, the global leader in analytical testing, is currently the only international laboratory network capable of performing all ISO 17025:2005 (D-PL-13372-01-00) accredited DNA detection of all food products. Our network provides the largest testing capacity (thousands of samples per day) and shortest turnaround times (TAT of 72 hours) of any independent food testing service provider.
Please contact your local Eurofins laboratory for more information about authenticity testing.